I only managed to complete about 80% of what I had planned for. I just couldn’t get a smooth flow in the shop this weekend. Not sure why, but everything took longer than it should have. The post tenons require a square mortise to receive the side rail tenons. On the first HBT, the post were pine, I drilled out most of the waste with an auger bit and a brace. The cherry wants to split too easily so the auger bit was out and I had to use a forstner bit. Forstner bits work great in power drill but are slow going when used in a brace. It does result in a very clean hole though. Once most of the waste was drilled out, it was just a matter of squaring the holes with a chisel.
This version of the HB Tansu features an asymmetric drawer arrangement. I worked out the joinery for the divider so that it can be marked out with the same marking gauge that I made for the other bearers. It took a little tweaking to make it work, but I ended up with a workable arrangement. I still need to congeal my notes and create a drawing that details the joinery. Hopefully that will happen sometime this week.
I did the one thing that I always advise others not to do. I got in a hurry! In my haste to glue the front frame assembly I forgot to chop the mortises for the handle rails. Not a deal breaker, but will require some bench gymnastics to chop them in the assembled frame.
So I did get the front frame glued-up and in the clamps. I also managed to get hide glue up to my elbows and somehow in my beard. Good thing hide glue will dissolve in hot water. I had hoped to glue-up the rear frame as well. I’m close, but came up short. I still need to size, prep and fit the rear panel. I’ll also need to do a final cleanup of all the parts. Once those tasks are completed I’ll be ready to assemble the rear frame.
The weather is turning colder here. We actually have frost advisories for the next few nights. Since my shop isn’t heated, I’ll have to plan my glue-ups carefully and drag each freshly glued assembly into the house to cure. That’s my normal winter procedure and is a pain in the butt.
This week I hope to glue-up the rear panel, fabricate the side and handle rails and fit all of the panels. That list may be a bit ambitious but I’m going to give it a go. If I pull it all off, I’ll be glueing the carcass up next weekend…maybe.