Shaker Stools 240 Mod-Part 5-Complete

I spent my evenings after work weaving the seat for the second stool.  I was a little more comfortable with the process this time and actually enjoyed applying the rush.

I’m happy to report that I gained a little speed and the weave looked much neater.  So much so that I dismantled several courses on the first stool and re-worked it so that there wasn’t such a marked difference between the two.  Not a dramatic difference, but it would have driven me crazy if I hadn’t fixed it.

Just about everything I have read or watched says that the fibre rush should be sealed with a couple of coats of clear shellac or something similar.  This adds a bit of durability and stain resistance to the seat.  So I dutifully complied with shellac.

The first coat took a good bit of shellac and I was a little worried that the uneven appearance wouldn’t subside once everything was dry.

The first coat did indeed dry to an even, albeit, darker color and the second coat went on quickly.  I also took the time to add one more coat of Tried & True original to the frames of the stools.

With that, I’m calling these stools done.

Either hubris or taking the blame.  Not sure which.

Installed into the kitchen.

Part 4 Greg Merritt

This entry was posted in Shaker Stool 240 Mod and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Shaker Stools 240 Mod-Part 5-Complete

1. Pingback: Shaker Stools 240 Mod-Part 4 | HILLBILLY DAIKU

2. Pingback: Shaker Stool 128 Mod-Part 1 | HILLBILLY DAIKU

3. And sitting next to the old workbench cum kitchen island, no less. Very nice.

I’ve got two questions, if you don’t mind. First, what total length of rush was needed for each seat. And I thought it was recommended to wet the rush before weaving. If you did that, did you wait for it to dry before applying shellac?

Typically the required amount of rush is measured in pounds. A typical chair seat would require 2-3lbs of rush. I bought a 10lb coil and still have at least half of it left.

Damp is a better way to think about it. The working coil is literally dunked under water and then immediately removed and the excess shaken off. That being said, yes, I did let the rush dry for day. It has been hot here and the rush was bone dry before I applied the shellac.

4. Bob Easton says:

Truly handsome!!!

5. Jeff Branch says:

The rush seat looks great. Well done.

6. Beautiful weaving job, I wove a couple of chairs years ago and seem to remember the source I used said to put triangles of cardboard inserted in the weave. I recall there were several layers as I worked my way around the chair. You didn’t do that did you? I recall it was a hassle and even showed through in places — no internet then so maybe my source of info was flawed. In any case, your stools look great!

Thank you John. Yes, I stuffed cardboard triangles into the seat as I went to fill the void areas. I did it in one step, as per the video linked above.

I was hesitant to go into detail about the weaving in fear of putting erroneous information out there. I’m working on a little footstool now and will post a few more details about the weaving process.

• Thanks, glad my memory is intact! I have a stool I need to redo, lesson learned to put more of a radius on the rail, the spot where I habitually put my hand when sitting had too sharp of an edge and the material broke; lesson learned!

7. dixislandboy says:

Greg,
    Those are some fantastic looking stools.
    As usual GREAT work, even in the hot weather. I really liked the way the rush turned out, and the burning on the legs. Great Post.
    Many thanx
    Bill B.

Thanks Bill. I appreciate your kind words. The weaving is not all that difficult, but there are several little details that must be attended to allong the way.

8. Pingback: Shaker Stool 128 Mod-Part 3-Complete | HILLBILLY DAIKU