With the temperature in the single digits and the wind chill causing it to dip below zero, it took a few hours of running the space heater to obtain a reasonable bit of warmth in the shop. I was able to get a couple of hours of work done on Saturday afternoon and then left the space heater to run overnight so I could work most of the day Sunday.
I added the small, inset shelf into stopped dados. This shelf also delineates an area for a very small drawer. I then needed to add a rebate around the rear perimeter for installing the back. This is a thru cut on the sides and was easily done with my rebate plane. The top and bottom need to be stopped. I used two cutting gauges and a chisel to pull this one off. One gauge was set to width the other to the depth. several passes with each and a little chisel work had the job done. I then added the grooves for the sliding door. A simple operation with a plough plane.
A dry fit with the divider and shelves in place.
The rebate around the back. The gappy bits will pull up tight in the clamps.
I need to buy some more clamps.
Out of the clamps and bamboo pins installed. Plus a sneak peak at the rear panel progress.
As soon as I can get back into the shop I’ll clean up the carcass and install the back. Once that’s done I’ll be able to start adding the Hillbilly Inlay. Thankfully this is something I can do in the house without creating too much of a mess. This piece is not only a trial run for this new design, it’s also a medium for experimenting with several Hillbilly Inlay designs and a couple other decorative techniques.
Greg Merritt…Part 3