Success!!!…depending on your standards. The small drawer in this little cabinet just about broke me over. I made three, three, sets of sides and back for this thing. Every error, no matter how small, is magnified when working at this scale. I learned early on, when building drawers the frame needs to lay flat and square on its own before glue up. If not, it’s a battle from that point forward. So I remade the parts until this little drawer did just that. Third time was the charm.
Once I had the assembly acceptable, I glued it together and added the bamboo pegs. Another exercise in frustration in itself. These pegs needed to be small. About a 1/16″ or so. I split these out from the larger pins that I normally use. Then I added the bottom and clamped the assembly by wrapping it with the cotton tape that I discussed before.
After a couple of days passed I unwrapped the little son of a….er…I mean. Anyway, a little cleanup and fitting and I’m starting to warm up to this little drawer. After I had it fitted to the cabinet I added the bead detail and some simple Hillbilly Inlay. After that I used the wood burner again to highlight the bead detail. Then I rubbed in some coffee and wiped the front down with BLO. Done!
It may have a face that only a father could love, but I like it. I like it quite a bit actually. It closely matches the idea I had originally envisioned.
I still need to glue and peg the back panel in place. I also need to decide on some “hardware”. I’m making a few different versions of knotted pulls to choose from. As to the finish, I think I’m going to stick with the Tried and True oil/wax finish. I really like the way it turned out on my last project.
Greg Merritt…Part 9