Today was carcass glue-up day. There are a lot of parts involved in this and its always a little unnerving. Everything needs to go together smoothly or I risk glue freeze on a joint somewhere. Wouldn’t be the end of the world, liquid hide glue is reversible, but it would be a lot of work to get everything back apart.
The first order of business today was to sand the exterior panels. Nothing much to it. Sandpaper, a block of wood and have at it. I sanded them first with 120 grit and then finished up with 220 grit.
When I glued up the front and rear frame assemblies the other day, I experienced a little sticking/freezing of the glue. I think this was due to the low temperature in the shop. So this round I planned ahead and brought the shop temperature up to 80F and warmed the glue as well.
Here is a photo of all the parts that are involved in this glue-up save the front and rear frame assemblies. A little daunting when I look at them all piled up like this.
The extra warmth in the shop and the heating of the glue made everything go fairly smoothly. I did have one little moment of panic when a handle rail refused to line up and seat. A little mallet persuasion and all was fine. I try not to use the mallet to bash assemblies together. I like to use clamps to slowly draw things together with steady even pressure. There are simply too many parts to keep lined up to be beating away with a mallet. I do follow along with the mallet to make sure things are completely seated. Anyway, I tried out the time-lapse feature on my phone and shot a little video of the process. I slowed it down from my normal working speed so that you could see what was going on….LOL
Finally the assembled carcass.
Here is a shot of the handles that I knotted and installed last night. A simple three strand braid with doubled wall and crown knots at each end. I used my usual tarred nylon for this and the size of the twine is #72.
There will be a good bit of cleanup to do on the carcass. But nothing too drastic. Then I’ll concentrate on fitting the drawer fronts to the assembly. I have a few pieces of walnut that I purchased out of the scrap bin that just may yield enough material for the central drawer fronts. The remaining drawer fronts will be from pine.