Woke up to about 8″ of heavy wet snow this morning. This mess continued all day and is still coming down as I write this. Trying to get to work Monday is gonna be fun. Anyway, back to our regularly scheduled program.
The plan for today was to continue shaping parts. But first I had to disassemble the dry fit from last time. This went a little easier than I had anticipated but still took about half an hour of slowly knocking each joints apart. Once I had the bench broken down to its basic elements I turned my attention to the long rails. The first order of business was to create a template to ensure uniformity. I used a scrap piece of cheap plywood to make my pattern from. A little divider gymnastics and I had the layout completed. Using a coping saw I cut the rough shape. I followed this with 4-in-hand rasp and finally knocked off the sharp edges with sandpaper. Using my newly minted pattern, I marked out each of the long rails.
I then used my bow saw to cut the rough shape. Then I clamped the two rails together in the vise and used the rasp to refine the shape to the line. Some further cleanup with a file and sandpaper and I was ready to add the heavy bevel to the edges.
To create the edge bevel I marked guidelines with a pencil using my finger as a gauge. Most of the bevel I was able to cut with a spokeshave save the inside curve portions. For this area I simply used a chisel bevel down and pared to the guidelines. A little sanding and the long rails were done.
I must have been moving pretty slow today because that is about all I was able to get done. I did manage to profile one leg and fabricate the small blocks that stiffen the end of the long rails. The leg profile is subtle but adds a bit of dimension to the piece. I used the same moulding plane for this as I used for shaping the short rails. Of course it’s the only moulding plane I own, so the choice was easy.
Tomorrow I’ll finish profiling the other three legs and add some edge details to the seat. Then it will be time for final assembly.