It is almost physically impossible for me to resist adding some sort of embellishment to the pieces that I make. Kolrosing, wood burning and then there is my fondness for adding texture. This little stand is built specifically to hold my hobby tansu. The tansu has a bit of texture added with a nail set and that texture was highlighted with the help of a wood burning tool. So I wanted to repeat some of this texture on the stand to make the two pieces seem like more of a cohesive unit.
I’m still struggling to get back into the swing of taking photos for this blog. Right now I’m just happy to have a few minutes in the shop here and there. So no “action” photos but I’ll do my best to describe what I did to add decorative touches to this stand.
Using the same nail set that I used on the tansu, I added some texture to the heavy bevel at the lower edge of top plank. The only tricky part is keep your sanity after about an hour of tap, tap, tap. Beer helps by the way.
Once the texture was done I took my poor man’s beading tool (a slotted screw in a block of wood) and scratched a shallow groove centered on the remaining flat edge of the slab top. My hope was that this would help to lighten the look of stand when it is in stool mode. This is where the wood burning tool comes into play.
My wood burning tool is a cheap hobby model that is going on about 15-16 years old. It’s slow to heat up and even slower to recover heat while in use. But it’s a little faster than using a match. Anyway, I first burned in the groove that I had scratched around the top slab. Then I started the long journey of darkening the areas that I textured earlier. Burn a little, wait for the tool to heat back up, and then burn a little more. Once that was finally complete, I burned in a solid line around the lower edge of the slab as well as around the upper edge. Feeling pretty good with that work I decided to take the wood burning a little further.
Using the standard tip that the tool came with, I burned in a “leaf” motif around the foot of the leg and at the top of leg. I also did a little light burning on the arrises of the leg facets. I wanted this corner burning to have a hit-and-miss effect and did a little light sanding after all the burning was done.
All that remained was to add a finish. I went with a linseed oil finish. So each day this week I added a coat of oil. First, a couple of coats of my tinted linseed oil concoction and then a couple of coats of Tried and True Original oil finish.
Well, that’s about it for my first foray into staked furniture. I’m happy with how it came together and I think it looks quite nice, YMMV. This simple little project helped me to wrap my mind around the process. I’m pretty good at reading and learning, better with visual, but to truly understand a thing, I have to do it. Now that I have my feet wet, I can say that I like the process and have several projects rattling around in my head.
Part 1 Greg Merritt