Turning the remainder of the three legs for this little stool went fairly quickly. Helped in part by and early start and a cool morning. A welcome change from the heat that is the norm for this time of year.
The boring of the mortise holes went quickly as well using the same method that I used on the previous stools. I did add one extra step however. These legs are small in diameter and the lead screw on the auger bit resulted in a shallow hole. Luckily my forstner bit is the same diameter as my auger bit (not always the case) and I was able to deepen the mortise holes to the required depth.
The dry-fit went well and I took a break while the hide glue was heating up.
There was a brief moment of panic before the glue up however. The joinery was so tight that I wasn’t sure I would be able to dismantle the dry-fit stool. After considerable effort and application of force, I managed to get everything apart and begin the glue-up. Thankfully that went smoothly and I soon had an assembled stool.
It’s been a while since I painted anything and this stool lends itself to having a bit of color. I like wood tones as much as anyone, but its nice to have a splash of color here and there. Management has a chosen accent color that runs throughout the entire house, coral. The most recent addition of coral was the old fan from the magic attic that I refurbished.
An older piece is this little chest of drawers that I made and painted with salmon milk paint and top coated with clear shellac.
Since I still have plenty of salmon milk paint powder left from the chest of drawer project, that is what I’m painting this little stool with. After letting the glue set for a few hours I mixed up some paint and gave the stool a total of three coats.
Next I’ll rub out the surface and give it a top coat. I’m waffling between using shellac or Tried & True.
Part 1 Greg Merritt
Pingback: Shaker Stool 128 Mod-Part 1 | HILLBILLY DAIKU
Very fine looking work, as always.
For a short wile during my very long stint of work for IBM (completely unrelated to woodworking), I toured the country doing salesmanship at trade shows. At every show, IBM provided the polo shirts we wore, so that we all appeared as a team, matching the trade show booth, etc. One particular show almost stirred a mutiny as the coordinator passed out PINK polo shirts. What?!! Were a bunch of macho guys really expected to wear PINK? The coordinator quickly calmed the uprising by announcing they were not pink, bur CORAL. 🙂 [I think I still have one of those shirts. It’s definitely pink.]
So the parallel is that you embraced the coral because management said so. LOL
Management RULES all around the world!!!
The secret of your projects was unveiled in the 1st picture… the infamous glasses.
Can you blog about the model and dioptre so my projects look awesome too???
😀 😀 😀
Great series Greg!
Yes, yes…management is always in charge…or so they think. 😉
LOL…those are my old man cheater glasses from the dollar store. I can’t see to turn at the lathe or layout anything without them.
I put on a coat of BLO after I get the milk paint the way I want it. An oil finish is much easier to maintain.
I agree…an oil finish is my first choice these days.
The first Dutchmen key that I attempted never came out of the dry fit. Nothing I could do so I planed it flush and that was it. It’s still in there and never moved.
Now that is tight! I did manage to get all of the rungs out, but I almost pulled my bench over in the process. End grain compression is pretty impressive stuff.
Pingback: Shaker Stool 128 Mod-Part 3-Complete | HILLBILLY DAIKU