End Tables Part 3

side_table_1_clampedManaged to prepare and fit the lower rails for end table #1.  It’s glued and in the clamps.  The rails went, to my surprise,  just a smoothly as the upper rails.  Maybe I’m starting to get the hang of this woodworking thing.  Of course now that I’ve said that end table #2 to will fight me the whole way.

The only real moments of tension for this table base was the glue up.  I think its mostly just in my head though.  I prepare and have never had any issues, but still its always a nerve racking procedure for me.  Maybe that’s a good thing in that it keeps me from becoming complacent.

I’ll start the rails for en table #2 as soon as time permits.  Once that table base is completed, I’ll apply finish to them both.  Then I’ll prep, finish and install the tops and shelves.

This entry was posted in Design, End Tables and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to End Tables Part 3

1. Is the top going to be the same species as the rest of the table? Also will there be a lower shelf?
    Curious as to what brand the blue clamps are and your opinion of them.

• gman3555 says:

The top and lower shelf will be of white oak and will receive a dark brown stain (either milk paint or transtint), Tried and True oil finish and finally additional bees wax applied with the polissoir. The bases will receive a coat of barn red milk paint, shellac and wax (see the lap desk in my project photos).

The blue clamps are Harbor Freight specials. I added a strip of wood to the center of the bars, ala Paul Sellers, and glued leather to the clamp faces. They have been in service for a year now and have worked just fine. I’ve not wanted for anything different.

Greg

• gman3555 says:

Another reference is the drop leaf table in my project photos. The top is cherry and the base is pine. I stained the whole thing with milk paint and then followed with shellac and wax.

Greg

2. David says:

Your table is looking great I look forward to seeing it finished, it sounds like a complicated finishing process. Paint, Stain , oil and wax WOW
    I also liked the look of your blue clamps they look a lot more substantial to the ones I got from Axminster (UK)

• gman3555 says:

Thanks David. The finishing is not all that complicated just time consuming. I like the look of milk paint but it does take a few steps to get it where I like it. For the top and shelf I wanted a finish that is easily repaired. I know these tables will see a good bit of use. Since I also do not use any toxic finishes in my shop, stain and wax are my best bet.

Greg

3. billlattpa says:

I like the shaping at the bottom of the legs, it’s a nice, natural transition without looking overly machined.
    Bill

• gman3555 says:

Thanks. This is a technique I picked up from Paul Sellers. I like the way it looks too. It’s something different than just the standard tapered leg.
      Thanks for commenting.