The more I looked at the scroll detail that I designed the less I liked it. It’s still a viable pattern, but I don’t feel that it reflects the overall aesthetic that I’m going for. It has more of a country craft feel to it instead of the intended asian nuance. The arcs are too bold. Fast I think is the correct terminology. The entire pattern needs to be “slowed” and made to be more subtle. Especially for what I have in mind to do with this detail. But you’ll have to wait to find out what that it is.
So I went back to the drawing board. Still working within the same module and played with the proportions until I had the scroll to my liking and closer to the detail on the original inspiration piece.
Here are how the proportions work out.
One thing to note about the original scroll design. This box, built with the original scroll design, a coat of paint and the right hardware, would look at home in a country cottage setting. Actually, this design is turning out to quite versatile. It’s not overtly Japanese/Asian looking, but can be made to be so. The interior can be configured in a multitude of ways and its scalable. In fact, I think it would retain its functionality even at half the current size that I’m building.
I have managed to get in a little shop time after work this week. Not a great deal of progress to report, but progress just the same. The center divider shelf is fitted. Although it still needs its front edge trimmed. The other small bit of progress was to thickness a couple of pieces down to 1/2″(I have the shavings to prove it). These pieces will be used to construct the interior dividers.
That’s the sum total of forward progress this week. Like I said, not much, but progress just the same.