Two and a half days of 90+deg in the shop is close enough to three days cure time for me. The instructions on the can say to rub the entire surface with chalk before actually using the chalkboard. So I dutifully complied then erased it with a rag…
…well what do you know? It works!
I like that the grain shows thru the paint. All in all I’m considering the chalkboard paint a success and may use it in future projects. At the very least I now have a handy place for jotting down notes and the like.
The outside of the chisel tray received a coat of linseed oil and I left the remainder of the interior raw. The tray will take on a beauty of its own as it ages and is used.
The chisel tray is ready to go to work and I’m happy with the way it turned out. It holds everything that I intended and has a little more room for any additions to the kit.
I now have a confession to make. I doctored one of my photos of the lid in my last post to obscure a bit of kolrosing/hillbilly inlay. I wanted to save it for this last post.
While sanding the lid I noticed a small knot on what would be the “show” side of the plywood panel. As I looked at that knot a thought began to form and finally congealed into an idea. You may have seen my post on the incense burner stand and the hillbilly inlay that I added to it based upon sumi ink paintings…well this lid received more of the same.
The small knot became the eye of the dragon and everything else just sort of happened. I tried to make use of the grain pattern as well. It won’t be winning any art awards, but I think it turned out pretty well and this chisel tray was perfect to practice on.
Part 3 Greg Merritt