Management has informed me that the little andon would make good Christmas gifts for this year and that I should get busy making several. Fine with me. At least I have plenty of notice this time and the extra time means I can do a little further experimentation.
Since this will be somewhat of a production run, I took a hard look at how to economize the materials. I found that, by adjusting the size slightly, the width of a standard small roll of shoji paper would cover the height of a frame. This means almost no waste of paper. The other thing I realized is that by rotating the grid 90deg, so that the grid is running at 30deg to the base, my grid pieces could be much shorter and I could get away with only three half-lap joints per piece. More on that below.
The frame material can be culled from an inexpensive 1x12x8ft board from the big box store. Providing I am careful in my selection. The grid pieces can be had from a 1/4x3x8ft piece of pine millwork. This board will generate enough pieces for three and a half grid assemblies. For the kumiko infill I’m reverting back to my original experiment and using popsicle sticks.
This next andon started at the big box store. At the very end of the lumber isle of my local store there is a section of 1x12x8ft boards labeled “utility shelving”. These board are generally ugly. Chunks missing, long splits and knots as big as my head. However, occasionally there is a gem or two hiding in the pile and I pulled one out this last trip and drug it home.
Not too many knots and only a few checks, but the wood in between is some tight, straight grained stuff.
I spent several evenings running these pieces through my thicknessing jig so that they were ready to be used.
Before starting the next andon I built a pair of bench top horses and purchased a pair of small brass bar clamps. These will make ganging the small parts together for layout and sawing much easier.
The andon frames are made exactly as before.
As well as the grid. Save for the orientation change noted above.
The kumiko infill pattern is made using popsicle sticks and the trimming jigs that I made.
The completed grid assembly was then trimmed and fitted to one of the andon frames.
I’m going to try to make a stand from which to hang this andon and I’m pretty much making it up as I go along. So far all I have completed is the base.
The stand could be an utter failure or, with a little luck, I may pull it off. We shall see…
Greg Merritt Part 2