My high hopes from yesterday for building the remaining three drawers, were quickly dashed this morning. I could have sworn that I had enough 1/2″ stock remaining for the last of the drawers. Alas, I was mistaken and a different form of swearing took place. Instead of making a trip to town I chose to use the last of the available material to build one drawer and then began work on the drawer bottoms. I also completed the sliding lid for the drawer/box. I’ll slip off to Lowes tomorrow on my lunch hour and pick up some 1/2″ stock.
Drawer bottoms aren’t that exciting. Size to fit and install. I like to glue the bottom to the drawer front and in a couple of places along the sides. I can get away with this since the plywood moves very little if any in response to humidity changes. Bamboo pegs are installed at the rear and then a few glue block are added to the bottom to add rigidity and prevent any rattling.
The sliding lid for the drawer/box I made from 1/4″ stock. I wanted to be sure that the lid would never interfere with the fit of the box into the tansu. I planed a simple bevel on the lid until it slid freely into the grooves. Then a little extra shaping of the ends. The lid still needs a finger nick to make it easy to slide open. I’ll also be adding some Hillbilly Inlay for decoration. I’m thinking some sort of walnut theme is in order.