Honey Do-Kitchen Island-Part 2-Complete

I spent the week just as I predicted in my last post.  Several evenings this week were spent filling nail holes, sanding and applying three coats of Minwax Polyshades.  I have to admit that this Polyshades goop is a decent product to work with and results in what appears to be quite a durable finish.  While not my usual way of finishing, its perfect for something such as this kitchen island, where durability and resistance to moisture is of paramount importance.

The particular color that I am using is referred to bu Minwax as pecan.  As I stated before, it is a little more amber than my existing cabinetry, but close enough that it’s not too jarring when viewed side-by-side.  Application of this product is basically the same as shellac.  Apply a coat, wait for it to dry ( 6 hours) and buff with 0000 steel wool before the next coat is applied.  So three consecutive evenings found me on the kitchen floor applying the finish.

Flash back to the birth of this particular workbench.

IMG_0422_2

Now on with the dog and pony show….

IMG_2132

IMG_2133

IMG_2134

….and a look at the mixer lift. which is a big hit with the wife.

IMG_2135

IMG_2136

Not too bad for converting an old workbench into a kitchen island.  The wife is happy, which means I am as well.  At least until the next “Honey-Do” mission is assigned.

Part 1 Greg Merritt

This entry was posted in Finishing, Woodworking and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Honey Do-Kitchen Island-Part 2-Complete

1. Pingback: Honey Do-Kitchen Island-Part 1 | GREG MERRITT – BY MY OWN HANDS

2. ant11sam says:

She should bake you a cake for celebration!
    After all its Valentine’s Day!!!
    🙂 😛 😉

It really looks great! And that mixer lift is awesome, what a nice touch.

4. Stefan says:

Hi Greg,
    the new kitchen island looks great. I was a bit skeptical when I first read your idea, but the result convinced me. The mixer lift is interesting. That is something I could delight my wife.
    Cheers,
    Stefan

5. billlattpa says:

That is what I like to call ‘fancy schmanzy’
    Well done!
    Bill

6. premodernbloke says:

Greg, that was a very effective and aesthetically pleasing re-purposing of the workbench. If there are any woodworkers out there who are also cooks, they would call that cadillac Kitchen Aid mixer a “drive-by gloat.” 🙂 Seriously, the mixer lift is slick.

Thank you! I’m really surprised at how big a hit the mixer lift is. I’m probably jaded to it because management has been talking about the dang thing for years on end. LOL
      Thanks again.

7. Brianj says:

First off…. Love the ‘Management’ reference…… Secondly, you should be very proud of your creation. Looks like it could have theatre ropes around it as a show piece.

Thanks Brian! Not sure it is quite that good, but thanks for saying. I am proud of how it turned out and it has been pressed into surface already. It will become the centerpiece for preparing many a family dinner for years to come.

8. sesli chat says: