Well as they say, “the best laid plans…”. Friday I went to purchase the wood that I needed to make the tops and shelves for the end tables. The first issue was that they did not have enough white oak in stock to fit my needs. So I settled on some red oak. It won’t make a lot of difference to the finished tables, but I do prefer white oak over red. As I was paying for my lumber, the second issue occurred to me. This lumber has been in a climate controlled area for who knows how long and I’m taking it to my shop which is decidedly not climate controlled. Crap! So
much for getting the tables done this weekend. I brought the oak home and stuck it in the shop. Today I cut it to rough lengths and stickered it. I’ll keep an eye on it this week and see how it reacts as it acclimates to my shop. Maybe next weekend I’ll be able to get the
panels glued up. Time will tell.
The three pieces joined together on top of the stack of oak is a corner joint proof of concept. I’ve had an idea rattling around that I have dubbed the Hillbilly Tansu. This will be the corner joint and it is surprising how strong it is. There is no glue on this joint and I tried my best to pull it apart. It would not budge. So I think this one is a keeper. I’ll probably add wedges to the thru tenon as well. It probably doesn’t need it, but it can’t hurt. I’ll post some more about this joint soon and I have to work out a drawer rail joint and how to best to add grooves for the sides, top, back and bottom. The Japanese prefer to hide all their joints and to not show any end grain. I am not so inclined.