I made a start on the tsuitate screen today. Starting with a couple of fir 2×4’s I was able to cull all of the parts that I needed and managed to avoid almost all of the knots. If your going to use 2x construction lumber you might as well get used to the idea of incorporating the occasional knot or two. Clear, straight-grained lumber can be boring sometimes anyway. So embrace the knots. 🙂
I’ve read that the greatest insult you can give to a Japanese craftsman is to say that he is a slow worker. It’s a good thing that I don’t live in Japan. I wouldn’t be able to bare the shame. However, I was still able to get all of the pieces, save the feet, milled down to size and squared. Then I began laying out the joinery. At first glance, this project looks fairly easy as to the layout. The one little hiccup is that none of the faces assemble to be coplanar. So the old standby of gauging from the face side is out the window. I found it much quicker to just layout all of the joinery with square and ink, working from center lines on each piece.
I started with the mortises for the intermediate cross rails. Then cut the matching tenons. I also added the grooves for the panel that will float between the rails.
I then laid out the mortises in the top rail. To attach the uprights to the top rail, I chose to use a stacked twin tenon. The twin portion will make wedging simpler and should help the upright resist any rotational forces. Nothing fancy as to execution. Chop the smaller square portions through and then remove the section the will receive the wider base of the tenon.
Then I cut the matching tenon.
I like working with this fir but it chips quite easily. There is quite a density difference between the early and late wood. A little aggravating, but it will make the uzukrui finish quite dramatic when all is said and done.
That’s as far as I was able to get today. It’s a start at least.