Assembly was quite easy and quick. I first installed the cross rails into the uprights along with the center panel. Then the uprights were secured by driving the tapered pins into place through the feet. This is a draw pin setup. Same as draw bore, except with a square pin, and I used a 3mm(~1/8″) offset do to the high compression rate of the fir that I’m working with.
Finally the top rail was set into place and secured with wedges. The only fussy part was guiding all of the bamboo skewers into place as the assembly pulled up tight.
All that remained was to cut the pins and wedges flush, dress them up a bit and wipe them down with a little Tried & True.
I had hinted at one last decorative element in a previous post. Knot tying is another of my interests and I try to work a knot or two into all of my projects. Usually in the form of drawer pulls. Alas, no drawers on this project, but I still managed to utilize a little knot tying regardless. Drawing inspiration from Japanese bamboo fence construction, I added a few bamboo skewers oriented horizontally across the vertical skewers. I secured them in place with knots of course.
I had originally planned to add a minimal texture with the uzukuri, but I started having a lot fun with it and went very bold instead. All-in-all I’m very pleased with how this project turned out. Not too bad for construction grade lumber and bamboo skewers from the grocery store. IMHO
Fair warning, I need to work on my photography setup in the new shop. Plus, it was well below freezing when I took these.
Part 5 Greg Merritt