After two coats of my “pine” enhancer concoction, two coats of T&T Original and a final coat of paste wax I’m calling the bookcase done. All-in-all I’m pretty happy with the end result. My finish experiment went really well and I know that I’ll be using the tinted linseed oil for future projects.
I worked in my standard details while applying the final touches to the build. I like to add a bead around the perimeter of my drawers. I think it looks good, plus it adds a bit of durability to the edges. Any dents and dings that do happen won’t show up nearly as much on a bead as they will on a hard corner. I also like to set this bead detail off by running a wood burning tool in the trough created by the bead. This makes for a nice bit of contrast. Essentially, this is just a common man’s method of creating the look of a traditional applied cock bead.
The drawer pulls are again my standard fare. Hand laid grommets from tarred nylon twine and attached to the drawer with a lanyard knot. To add a bit of “fancy”, I used a pair of dividers to scratch in a circle centered around the pull. I then used a simple stamping tool made from a piece of scrap steel to fill the circle with texture. To make the “floral” detail at the top of the pull, I simply pressed the tip of the wood burning tool flat to the wood.
The photos are little rugged. With the bench build in full swing I have no room in the shop for taking photos. So I had to bring this thing into the house for final dog and pony pics.
Part 9 Greg Merritt